Monday, February 28, 2011

Sandra Bradshaw

#4 Gestures and Contours
Why is it when a person begins a comment with the phrase, "It's interesting…" that you know there has to be something that didn't go quite as planned? This is one of those times! I started out doing a sort of blind contour drawing. I say sort of blind because I looked a couple of times to make sure that I wasn't making an unidentifiable mess in the middle of my paper. I actually had a small statue beside the orchid but after doing some loose painting of the contour drawing shapes I wasn't at all happy with the figure. LeEtta suggested that since one of our rules this week was to collage something into the piece maybe I should add a gesture drawing. It was worth a try since I could put it over top of the figure.
In the end I find the softness of the charcoal gesture (it was probably a 1 minute drawing) against the hard lines of the contour drawing "interesting". I added a bit of charcoal on the left side of the piece for balance. I think I overdid the charcoal but what the heck, it's a study and studies are meant to be a preliminary for a larger more thought out piece. After all it takes10,000 mistakes to achieve mastery of anything. I've had my fair
share of mistakes but mastery is something I still aspire to.
From the corner,
Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment